Home > Services>Advanced Directives

What is an advanced directive?

Advance directive is a general term that refers to legal documents that allow you to give instructions about your future medical care in the event you become unable to speak for yourself due to serious illness or incapacity. Every person over the age of 18 should complete an Advanced Directive.

Where can I get advanced directive forms to complete?

  • Your physician’s office
  • Your local hospital
  • You may also contact an attorney

What should I do with my Advanced Directive once it is completed?

Once you have completely filled out your Advanced Directives, you should provide a signed copy to:

  • The person you’ve designated
  • Your doctor’s office
  • Bring a copy with you whenever you are admitted to a hospital.

Will the hospital keep my advance directive on file?

You should bring a copy of your advance directive to the hospital each time you are admitted. Sometimes, patients change their advance directives, and it is important that we have your most current version.

How can I get more information?

More information is available on advanced directives by contacting the Baraga County Memorial Hospital Social Services Department at 906.524.3355.