The Respiratory Therapy Manager is responsible for the overall supervision, administrative planning, control and coordination of the management functions of the Respiratory Care Department in order to achieve both quality and financial objectives in the provision of healthcare, education, and participation of the hospital. The Supervisor’s time is proportionally divided between managerial and patient care services based on the needs of the facility.
Chief Executive Officer
- Graduate of an approved program of respiratory care required.
- Must maintain licensure with the State of Michigan.
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT).
- Extensive experience in and possessing a strong understanding of all areas of respiratory care including but not limited to diagnostic testing, therapeutics, monitoring, rehabilitation, home care, and patient, family and public education.
- Clinical evaluation and assessment skills are required for all age groups of patients served by the facility including neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
- One year of managerial experience preferred.
Position Duties: Essential
- Maintains adequate staff levels, and assures appropriate scheduling to meet the patient care needs.
- Is responsible for interviewing, selection, hiring, orientation, training, annual and ongoing performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, counseling, and terminations as appropriate for respiratory care staff.
- Initiates and maintains all department files and records in accordance with facility policies and procedures.
- Develops an ongoing internal marketing plan to assure appropriate utilization or changes in present services as well as additions or evaluation of any new services to maintain a state-of-the-art cardiopulmonary service.
- Develops and maintains a departmental inventory system capable of tracking equipment and assuring the highest standards while maintaining cost effectiveness.
- Maintains a department quality control system which includes data gathering, review of care for quality and efficiency, and reporting of findings per the hospital’s quality assurance program.
- Keeps the department in compliance with all hospital, accreditation, and regulatory standards (i.e., JCAHO, Medicare, patient care, safety, infection control, OSHA, etc) as appropriate.
- Assures that the in-service and continuing education programs for the department and all other appropriate hospital personnel are developed, ongoing and documented.
- Develops and maintains inter and intra departmental communication systems to promote high levels of coordination of efforts.
- Conducts, participates in meetings with the department, nursing services and any other hospital meetings or committees as designated.
- Organizes, directs, supervises, and participates as needed in the department’s workload by using experience and management tools to evaluate, modify and rank specific tasks to determine the most efficient use of personnel and equipment in the delivery of patient care, compliance with physician orders, for all age groups and appropriate levels of care provided by the hospital.
- Assures the department has the necessary equipment available and that is maintained, cleaned, repaired and in operable conditions and ready for use by the department as appropriate.
- Serves as a technical consultant to the medical and nursing staffs and is available for technical call as necessary.
- Must be able to assess, plan and provide individualized care for patients in compliance with physician orders, taking into account the mental status and development, and the physical needs of each patient based on age, in all categories of patients served by the hospital.
- Assists in projects as requested by the CEO.
- Represents the hospital and community in the utmost professional manner.
- Complies with HIPAA requirements for security and confidentiality.
- Observes all infection control and safety policies of the facility.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of BCMH Corporate Compliance Plan, Code of Conduct and reporting process of any compliance concerns.
- Shall be responsible for completing educational requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Physical Activities: Essential
An individual in this position will be required to carry or lift weights in the range of:
Up to 25 pounds frequently
Up to 50 pounds occasionally
Sensory and Communicative Activities: Essential
Read and understand the English language well enough to comprehend operators’ manuals and other written and verbal instructions, communicate with patients, physicians and other healthcare providers, and follow verbal directives/instructions during emergency situations.
- Inside environmental conditions
- Physical hazards
- Chemical hazards
- Blood borne pathogens