Receptionist/Check Out Clerk – 40 hours/week[apply online]
The Receptionist duties include but are not limited to, greeting and assisting patients and visitors, answering telephone, scheduling appointments, update Cerner EMR with patient demographics and on occasion collect patient co-pay and receive payment.
- Must be a high school graduate with skills including basic computer literacy.
- Ability to deal with the public, patients and fellow staff in a position of moderate to high stress.
- Ability to handle busy, multi-line telephone in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Must possess typing and/or data processing skills.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is extremely helpful.
- Must have the desire to learn and cross-train.
- Must demonstrate a daily commitment to the Standards of Behavior and Core Values of BCMH.
POSITION DUTIES: ESSENTIAL
- Greet all patients and visitors cheerfully, with a good morning or good afternoon, how may I help you?
- Answer telephone calls by the third ring, answer BCMH Physician Group, how may I help you? Transfer calls if indicated.
- Schedule all appointments for medical providers and nurses, if you cannot find a time for the patient that works for them, or there are no openings with their usual provider available; please first check with the Dr. to see if they will squeeze in an extra patient for that day. If not, always offer the walk in clinic from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. or the Emergency Department for urgent or emergent problems.
- Register patients and update demographic information into Cerner, physically look at their insurance cards and identifying information (driver’s license) to be sure it is the same as in the Cerner data base, this needs to be done each time they arrive for an appointment. If the information is different, scan in the new information and update the insurance in the insurance window.
- Print encounter forms once the patient arrives and place it in the appropriate slot for the nurse to take with her when she ushers the patient in for their visit.
- Near the end of the day, print off the next days schedules for all providers and place them on each provider’s desk; this should be done again during the noon hour so the providers will know of any major changes to their schedule.
- If you are checking out a patient after their visit with the doctor, you must attempt to collect all previous balances due and any co-pay or deductibles. Ask the patient if all their questions were answered or if they have any other concerns about their visit that day. Schedule any recheck appointments at that time.
- REMEMBER TO ALWAYS KEEP PATIENT HEALTH INFORMATION CONFIDENTIAL!! Speak in a low tone as not to allow any others in the immediate area to over hear your conversation.
- Maintain neat, clean and professional work area.
- Maintain established department policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Assists in care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies. Alert Office Manager to any equipment malfunctions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Office Manager.
- Remain at your work station during your shift, utilize the intercom system and transfer calls as necessary.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of BCMH Corporate Compliance plan, Code of Conduct and reporting process of any compliance concerns.
- Shall be responsible for completing educational requirements.
- Complies with HIPPA regulations for security and confidentiality.
- Observes all infection control and safety policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: ESSENTIAL
- Nominal Standing
- Repetitive Movement
An individual in this position will be required to carry or lift weights in the range of:
Up to 25 pounds frequently
Up to 50 pounds occasionally
SENSORY AND COMMUNICATIVE ACTIVITIES: ESSENTIAL
- Inside Environmental Conditions