The Operating Room Scrub Tech must be currently certified as a CST. The Scrub Tech assists in OR services in caring for injured or ill patients, based upon the age of the individual served. Patients served may include: Infants – newborn to 2 years of age; Pediatric – 2 to 10 years of age; Pediatric/Young Adult – 10 to 18 years of age; Adult – 18 to 65 years of age; Geriatric – over 65 years of age. Provides knowledge, technical skills and support to RN staff as designated by operative procedures performed. Assists with various types of surgical operations and performs related services in Central Supply and Recovery Room. Assists in Central Supply area by making up supplies and instruments, dressings, treatment trays and other equipment and supplies. Washes, sterilizes and cares for equipment and instruments.
Operating Room Supervisor
- Must have graduated from an approved school of Surgical Technology and be/maintain current certification in the State of Michigan.
- Handles stress and pressure while remaining self assured and composed.
- Has desire to succeed and grow as evidenced by participation in inservice program, internally and externally.
- Clinically competent to perform in this area.
- Demonstrates a stable temperament, strong sense of responsibility and accountability for own actions.
- Does promote good interpersonal relationships with staff, doctors, administration and the public.
- Must be BLS/CPR certified every two years according to the American Heart Association guidelines.
- Willingly accepts other duties within his/her knowledge and training.
- Must demonstrate a daily commitment to the Standards of Behavior and Core Values of BCMH.
POSITION DUTIES: ESSENTIAL
- Gives patient status report to the appropriate personnel.
- Attends department meetings and offers suggestions for change. Assists in implementing changes agreed upon by the supervisor.
- Participates in teaching other staff those items as delegated by the supervisor.
- Prepares the operating room and sets up for all cases. Sets instruments, helps straighten patients, hands instruments, sutures and sponges to physicians as needed. Takes down, set up and prepares for the next case. Washes instruments; sets them up and autoclaves them. Maintains all supplies in the operating room. Cares for all instruments; lubricates and sends in for repairs. Insures that surgery is cleaned and set up at the end of the day. Orders all supplies as needed. Autoclaves all outdated supplies monthly. Helps in Central Supply as needed. Keeps card file on procedures up to date.
- Must have knowledge of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, pharmacology. Must have thorough knowledge of principles of patient preparation and care, surgical procedures, operative technique, surgical instruments and equipment and principles of asepsis.
- Takes instrument, sponge and needle count to circulating nurse.
- Carries out physician orders. Notifies the physician of any change in patient condition; may counsel with supervisor first. Checks and follows through on doctor’s orders.
- Is able to perform under pressure in stressful and emergency situations following established protocols and informing appropriate persons.
- Cooperates with the supervisor to assure adequate staffing. Seeks assistance from supervisor appropriately involving clinical problems. Keeps supervisor informed of patient’s condition. Keeps informed of scheduled days, arrives to work on time according to schedule. Makes schedule changes through appropriate channels.
- Adheres to uniform policy for this specialty area, daily appearance is neat and well groomed.
- Cooperates with other departments in coordinating patient care.
- Increases clinical competency by providing direct care to patients in this specialty area.
- Participates I continuing education programs, specifically those areas relating to central supply and surgical specialty.
- Participates in advanced formal classes.
- Complies with HIPAA requirements for security and confidentiality.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of BCMH Corporate Compliance Plan, Code of Conduct and reporting process of any compliance concerns.
- Observes all infection control and safety policies and procedures.
- Shall be responsible for completing educational requirements.
- Adheres to BCMH employee handbook.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
PHSYICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: ESSENTIAL
- Repetitive Motion
An individual in this position will be required to lift or carry weights in the range of:
Up to 25 pounds frequently
Up to 50 pounds occasionally
SENSORY AND COMMUNICATIVE ACTIVITIES: ESSENTIAL
- Inside environmental conditions
- Blood borne pathogens
- Physical hazards
- Chemical hazards