The Medical Assistant works directly with nursing services in caring for injured or ill patients, based upon the age of the individual served. Patients served may include: Infants – newborn to 2 years of age: Pediatric – 2 years to 10 years of age: Pediatric/Young Adult – 10 to 18 years of age; Adult – 18 to 65 years of age; Geriatric – over 65 years of age.
RN Case Manager and/or the Practice Manager.
- Must be a graduate of an approved school of Medical Assisting, certified by an accrediting body.
- Must be BCLS/CPR certified every 2 years according to the Michigan Heart Association Guidelines.
- Demonstrates stress management, clinical competence, personal acceptance of responsibility and accountability, promotes positive interpersonal relationships and maintains confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate a daily commitment to the Standards of Behavior and Core Values of BCMH.
Position Duties: Essential
- Follows established standards of nursing practice and implements facility policies and procedures.
- Observes infection control procedures related to nursing.
- Demonstrates increased clinical competence by providing direct patient care to varied patient populations. Participates in continuing education programs and shows interest in advancing nursing technical skills.
- Evaluates and updates nursing care plans to meet the changing needs of the patient.
- Obtains report, recording sufficient information to implement appropriate follow up action.
- Prioritizes nursing care.
- Assists supervisor with pertinent information concerning nursing care.
- Documents in EMR, patient assessment, treatment, procedures, and evaluation of patient’s response to the physicians plan of care.
- Informs the supervisor of patient condition changes.
- Effectively carries out physician orders affecting patient’s plan of care.
- Works with the RN/LPN to develop and implement individual patient teaching plans.
- Insures patient rights are honored.
- Obtains documents quantitative assessment data including patient HT/WT, TPR/BP.
- Assists patient with ambulation using braces, walkers, canes, and/or crutches.
- Transfers patient safely to and from carts and examining tables.
- Assists and/or provides personal and oral hygiene.
- Changes surgical dressings, sterile dressings, irrigates and packs wounds, and collects appropriate specimens for diagnostic evaluation.
- Administers and documents oral, IM/SQ, topical and suppository medication.
- Administers oxygen therapy.
- Teaches and provides pre-operative/post-operative care.
- Complies with HIPAA requirements for security and confidentiality.
- Observes all infection control and safety policies and procedures.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of BCMH Corporate Compliance plan, Code of Conduct and reporting process of any compliance concerns.
- Shall be responsible for completing educational requirements.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Position Duties: Marginal
- Checks emergency supplies and equipment for safety.
- Obtains consent for procedures.
Physical Activities: Essential
- Repetitive Movement
An individual in this position will be required to carry or lift weights in the range of:
Up to 25 pounds frequently
Up to 50 pounds occasionally
Sensory and Communicative Activities: Essential
- Inside environmental conditions
- Blood borne pathogens
- Physical hazards
- Chemical hazards
Performs tasks assigned by the Registered Nurse according to accepted policies and procedures in the hospital.
Demonstrates accountability for his/her performance by:
A. Fulfillment of job description requirements
B. Punctuality and dependability in attendance requirements
C. Adhering to the nursing service dress code.
Identifies need and pursues continued education and self growth by:
A. Identification of learning needs through self evaluation and the performance appraisal process.
B. Seeks formal/informal instruction to meet identified learning needs.
Attends and participates in staff/personal development programs:
A. Utilizes and shares information obtained at staff development programs.
B. Attends mandatory in-services.