The Dietary Assistant prepares, seasons and cooks food for patient and personnel. Maintains high standards of quality food production and portion control using standard recipes. Insures that food is palatable and appetizing in appearance.
- Must be a high school graduate or GED.
- Must have or become certified in the Serv Safe program or other state accredited certificate food safety program by the end of the probationary period.
- Must have cooking experience with quantity food preparation.
- Must be able to cook a variety of foods in large quantities and be familiar with seasoning required and cooking time involved. Must have firsthand knowledge of cooking characteristics of various cuts of meat, and know names and contents of various types of dishes. Must be able to make simple estimates relative to quantities of food required.
- Must demonstrate a daily commitment to the Standards of Behavior and Core Values of BCMH.
POSITION DUTIES: ESSENTIAL
- Responsible for handling and preparing food in accordance with sanitary regulations. Meets meals schedules, avoids food waste and care for equipment. Prepares appropriate quantities of food needed to meet menu requirements.
- Prepares and cooks food according to recipes.
- Plans amounts of ingredients needed; plans cooking schedule to have food ready on time.
- Utilizes personal judgment and experience in cooking schedule to have food ready on time.
- Prepares servings according to requirements; adjusts menus in the event of special diets.
- Arranges trays paying special attention to patient tray diet cards.
- Assists in setting up filling trays and steam table.
- Serves hot food on tray line.
- Loads food carts/delivers trays to nursing floor.
- Rinses dirty pots and pans and places them in the sink to be washed.
- Washes pots and pans.
- Washes and stores dishes, scrapes and pre-rinses dishes and sets in dishwasher.
- Checks supplies.
- Stores food properly.
- Assists in serving meals and coffee breaks to personnel.
- Performs general cleaning in the kitchen area.
- Cleans equipment.
- Cleans dining room tables, checks table ware.
- Prepares salads/portions desserts to have ready in time to serve.
- Prepares and delivers nourishments to patients.
- Insures that meals are out of the freezer at the appropriate time.
- Bakes desserts and breads as necessary.
- Properly cools and re-heats food according to food code.
- Assists with the preparation and set up of special events involving the Dietary Department and performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates knowledge of BCMH Corporate Compliance plan, Code of Conduct and reporting process of any compliance concerns.
- Shall be responsible for completing educational requirements.
- Complies with HIPAA requirements for security and confidentiality.
- Observes all infection control and safety policy and procedures.
- Performs other duties as directed by the Dietary Manger.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES: ESSENTIAL
- Repetitive Movement
An individual in this position will be required to lift or carry weights in the range of:
Up to 25 pounds frequently
Up to 70 pounds occasionally
SENSORY AND COMMUNICATIVE ACTIVITIES: ESSENTIAL
- Inside environmental conditions
- Physical hazards
- Chemical hazards