The experienced staff at the BCMH Laboratory offers an extensive menu of laboratory testing and is overseen by Scott Kantola, MD, a Board Certified Pathologist. Testing can include:
- Basic chemistry tests such as electrolytes, thyroid, liver enzymes and renal tests.
- Chemical analysis for blood glucose and glycohemoglobin levels which assists the physician in controlling and managing diabetes.
- Cardiac enzymes which are found in high concentrations in the heart. During a heart attack, these enzymes are released into circulation. The enzymes can be measured to detect not only the presence of heart damage, but also the severity.
- Therapeutic blood monitoring for medications such as Coumadin, a common blood thinner. A coagulation test called a pro-time is performed to achieve a safe therapeutic range.
- Routine urinalysis for detection of urinary tract infections, kidney stones, diabetes and renal disease.
- Bacteria cultures to determine the cause of an infection. Once the bacteria have grown in the lab, they are tested against a battery of antibiotics. This testing will inform the physician which drug is working best at the lowest concentration.
- Blood banking as part of the U.P. Regional Blood Center
The BCMH Lab is open and staffed from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. daily. On-call laboratory staff is available for testing 24 hours a day in the case of an emergency.